The Executive Committee ranks second to the Council of Commissioners in the hierarchy of the School Board. It is composed of the Chairperson, the Vice-Chairperson and third Executive Member. The Vice-Chairperson and Third Executive member are elected amongst Council members each year by Council resolution. The Director General is a non-voting member of the Executive Committee.
General Powers and Functions
The Executive Committee administers the business and activities of the School Board and performs functions delegated to it by the Council of Commissioners under General By-Law No. 1.
Subject to approval by the Minister (when required by law) and to the budget approved by Council, the Executive Committee approves capital projects as well as their plans and specifications, their contracts (for engineers, architects, and construction) and reallocation of costs within approved budgets; and approves purchases of moveable and immoveable property and supplies and for the amounts greater than $50,000 and not exceeding $200,000 as delegated by Council.
In accordance with the personnel plan approved by Council, the Executive Committee approves:
- Appointment and engagement of teachers and non-teaching professionals, as well as their promotion, re-assignment, transfer, leave of absence without pay, demotion, suspension for more than thirty (30) working days, placement on availability, cancellation or non-renewal of engagement and dismissal, subject to the applicable collective agreements.
- Appointment and engagement of senior and management staff, as well as their promotion, re-assignment, transfer, leave of absence without pay, demotion, suspension, placement on availability, cancellation or non-renewal of engagement and dismissal, subject to the applicable by-laws concerning their working conditions.
- Working hours of personnel.
- Appointment of the representatives of the Board on Labor Relations Committees.
- Approval of Out-of-court settlements related to employee grievances where the settlements is more than $10,000.